...about Gabie's naps?! He still is refusing to take one at home, but whenever we're out he'll konk out in the van and I know he is still tired. Miss D is usually here on Tuesday's while I work and she watched Gabe while I took Caleb to the doctor. They were outside playing in the swing before I left and when I looked out there Gabe was sleeping in the swing!
So, I know he still needs one, but I'll take him up and try the ol' routine and he just refuses - he will cry and cry and just get up, etc.
The other thing I need to tackle is potty training. He also refuses to sit on a potty of any kind. I think we are going to try the "underwear" method so he can learn to be aware of when he is going. I'm not really looking forward to that. But, hopefully it will work. Any ideas out there from other moms, other than bribery or candy, which don't seem to be working?

2 comments:
The battle of the naps - UGH! Char will go in her room, and then sneaks out 1003 times with different excuses - "I left my animal out here" "I have to peep" "What're you doing, mom?" and so on. Maddening. I try telling her, "You don't have to sleep, just have some quiet time alone in your room" but she doesn't bite. It's just hit or miss. 3-4 times a week - it's fine, but the other days it is BEASTLY!
For the potty training...no idea. I hear boys are a LOT harder than girls. All I know is when Ellie is 18 months I'm going to have to turn into a 60 year old Czech woman to get her trained - I have no idea how it works. (I'm spoiled that way!)
Hey Sara, sorry to hear about the nap problems- that is hard. My advice would be a little "tough love" and discipline- in the form of closing him in his room. I know this sounds mean, but you have to show him you're the parent and trying things like "stay in there for mommy" or trying to reward just doesn't work in my experience. You have to give him a consequence (if you leave your bed/room again, mommy's going to have to close the door (and lock it)." Then when he leaves, do it. You'll probably have some protesting and crying, a lot of it, and some of that is probably because he's so tired, but this might work right away (like the next day he just lies down) or it might take a few days. It actually worked for my friends in WA with their almost 2 year old, when he'd wake at night (when they brought the newborn home- but it went on for weeks. Finally they got fed up!). They closed the door and he didn't even get up anymore!! It will be hard, but if you give it a good try and stick to the plan (with Dan's help on days he's home maybe?) you just might gain that much more down-time and Gabe will gain that sleep. Plus, by him not getting the nap (and we parents not enforcing it) he's actually being robbed of sleep. That helps me when I feel I'm being a "mean mommy" by making him stay in his room. We're actually looking out for their best interests. Best wishes!
Post a Comment