Monday, March 03, 2008

What's wrong with this picture?


We're still trying to decide how to tackle potty training in the Hogan house. Our latest attempt was this chart, which actually came with his potty chair. As you can see, we do pretty well with everything except the middle row there. If something would just come out while he was on there, I think we would make tremendous progress. It's almost like he is intentionally NOT going while he's on there. I think we are really going to end up going the underwear / naked route because I feel like it's the only thing that's going to make him aware of when he's going. We tried that again (briefly) a couple of weekends ago, and I think if we stuck with it for a couple of days it would probably work. I just need to be intentional about just doing it. Then there's part of me that know any outing and road trip is going to probably be more difficult now when we have to stop at the potty! On the flip side, we'll be saving money on diapers!


Stay tuned for updates.

3 comments:

christian said...

Naked works! It is a little cold out but try a shirt and no pants. I had to have a friend hit me over the head to get me to stop using pull ups!

Good Luck and be patient! Kate

Christina said...

We're working on it too. Everyone I know with a potty trained child assures me that it "just happens". They say that they never thought it would either and then their child had a magic moment and wanted to be out of diapers or wanted to sit on the potty. It's hard for me to imagine Henry asking me to sit on the potty. But it was also hard for me to imagine him talking this much or sleeping in a big boy bed. So maybe just maybe this will happen too!

I hear you though on the going out and having it be more trouble. I'm already nervous for how that will work. And I never thought of traveling with them, it will be very tricky. Eventually it will be so worth it though!

Katie said...

So I don't have ANY experience with this and know that I'll be dealing with this soon enough but someone suggested on the road trips to take one of the child potty chairs in the car - much easier than having to find a bathroom or use the side of the road! :) Stay tuned and I will be asking for advice too!