Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Amaryllis: The Aftermath

I absolutely love any kind of bulb flower, especially ones you can force inside during the winter. I haven't done an amaryllis in a couple of years, but picked one up this year and started it a couple weeks before Christmas. Just this week it started to bloom big, beautiful blooms. I had seen the cats eye it, but they had been pretty good around it. I had it sitting on the piano and this morning I heard what I knew could only be one thing...the cats had knocked it over onto the floor! I was so sad, but I knew it was bound to happen. I tried to salvage what I could (see last, sad pic), but we'll see how that goes. I wanted to at least keep it alive for a while and then try to force it again next year, but I don't know if it will work. :-(







2 comments:

Christina said...

Oh no! It looks so pretty. You've always done such a good job with flowers. This just reminded me of those paper whites you grew when you lived in Atkin/Colby. Remember how stinky those were??

Anonymous said...

You can plant the bulb in your garden this summer and then dig it up again to force again next winter.

Jamie