Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sleepy, and then not so sleepy

Caleb slept from 9 to 4 last night, a 7 hour stretch! I must say I think some babies just naturally sleep better than others, because it definitely has nothing to do with me....I have a two and a half year old who still does not go to sleep on his own. :-)

However, today he didn't really take a real "nap" until about 2:30, meaning he was awake with just a few dozes from 7 a.m. until then! Not really fussy or anything, just awake! He's been sleeping for a while now, though. He usually gets his 3 or 4 hour nap in at some point!

Anyway, I'm grateful for the good sleeping because I've been having more issues with the never-ending saga of the clogged duct, which has never unclogged and is now really infected again. I saw my doctor last week and she actually ordered an ultrasound, which resulted in her recommending a biopsy. I saw the surgeon yesterday and she is 99.9% sure this is just infection/clogged duct and not anything malignant, etc. I'm VERY thankful for that because my mom had breast cancer and it's very easy to start thinking the worst (or finding stories on the internet about how "my baby saved my life by finding my breast cancer"). However it's still a little frustrating and worrysome. She actually "aspirated" the area yesterday with a needle and drew out a bunch of milk and infection, but that is not her first choice for treatment. She would rather cut a small hole for a "drain" and have me discontinue nursing, which I definitely don't want to do! She also wanted me to only pump that side (to prevent more bacteria from baby's mouth) until she sees me again tomorrow. I think that's part of the reason Caleb's been so awake today because he's not getting his usual full tummy from the one side, and I'm just not getting as much pumping the other side as if he nursed it. Arrgg!

I go back to the surgeon tomorrow and she said "you have to be better by Thursday" or I think she will want to proceed with the little incision / drain. So, I'm feeling a little sad and frustrated, but also know that I'm not really effective when I'm running a fever and feeling like I have the flu all the time, so I also want to do what's best for me. Just lots of mixed emotions right now and lots of little meltdowns in the last few days! I keep reminding myself that I still have two healthy boys and if this is the worst thing we have to deal with, it's not so bad.

Thoughts and prayers are appreciated and I'll keep you posted as things develop.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you, Honey. You're a great mom.

Dan

Amy Kate said...

Oh Sara, that stinks. It'll all work out and whatever happens will be fine. Just remember that you have 2 fantastic boys and a wonderful husband and that it is probably a clogged duct (ouch!) and nothing more. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

(Hey, I'm no longer a creepy anonymous poster!)

Christina said...

Sara, we'll be praying for you. You are such a trooper, I think I would have been very tempted to throw in the towel on nursing by now. I'm so impressed that you've stuck with it and that you're even pumping. I hope your appointment goes well today...let us know. Can't wait to see you and the 2 sweet boys this weekend!
Love,
Christina