Friday, August 22, 2008

Ini





"Ini" is the name Gabe uses for my Grandma. We went to visit her last Friday at the booth she has at a local farmer's market in Rockford. Every Friday she sets up her own tent and tables and sells her crafts, homemade baked goods and some odds & ends. Words cannot express how much I love my grandma. We have a very special bond; she took care of me until I was almost 2, and even after that I was always begging to stay at her house on the weekends and whenever I could. I used to sleep with her in her bed and remember her kneeling by her bed every night and whispering her prayers - I could hear her name each one of her children, grandchildren and family members. She still does this nightly. Then in the morning I'd hear her get up at the crack of dawn to make homemade bisuits and chocolate gravy (her speciality!). Then, there was (and still is) beans and cornbread on Mondays, hamburgers on Saturdays, and chili on Sundays after church. Since she had nine children, most of whom are still in Rockford and gather for these meals, she cooks A LOT! And she loves every minute of doing this for her family.


She is one of the hardest working people I know. At 75, she still mows her own lawn and plants and maintains a huge garden in the backyard. In spite of growing up in poverty and working very hard for everything she has, she has faith, gratefulness and humility that blow me away. She is a true inspiration to me and our entire family and I only wish I could see her more! I feel like I need to write a book about her life - the things she's been through, the things she's overcome and accomplished...it's truly amazing.


She always says to me, "I love you, darlin'. You'll always be my baby." I know she's not reading this, but I'll say it anyway...I love you, Grandma! I'll always be your baby. :-)




3 comments:

Erica said...

Sara, your grandma seems like an amazing women and a blessing to everyone around her. I think you should write a book about her life. It's neat that you and the boys were able to spend time with her at her Farmer's Market booth. I can't believe all that she does! Amazing.
Love,
Erica

Christina said...

Oh, this post is precious. Your grandma is definitely an amazing and wonderful woman. What touched me the most was reading about her nightly prayers kneeling next to her bed. That is so precious. I just can't get over everything that she does--even after having 9 children! She is so sweet. There is definitely a lot of your grandma in you, Sara.

Anonymous said...

Your grandmother is so special. I can't believe all that she does. I get exhausted with what I do (which sounds like much less than she does) and I'm only 56. I hope to get down to visit her booth soon.
Love,
Sandi