Friday, October 03, 2008



Here's the latest edition of Dan's Mentoring Minute newsletter.
Here's an excerpt (Dan was surprised I had never heard this story, but I hadn't, and it gets me every time :-)):

"You’ve probably heard the story about the boy and the starfish*. In it, a little boy is walking
along a beach when he notices that it is littered with thousands of starfish. The boy knows that
to stay alive, these starfish need to be in water, so he begins picking the starfish up, one at a
time, and throwing them back into the ocean. Before long, an older man comes along, and when he notices the thousands of starfish covering the sand and this little boy attempting to save
them, he asks, “What are you doing? Don’t you see how big this problem is? How can you ever hope even to make a difference?” The little boy stops for a moment and bends down to pick up another starfish. He throws it back into the ocean, and turns to the old man, saying, “I just made a difference for that one.”

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Sara... I know you've heard that story before! It's an old Cross Current classic, you've probably heard it at least a dozen times.

Sara said...

Seriously? I don't remember that one! Maybe I had blocked it out. Now the three legged stool, that one I remember...

:-)

Christina said...

I love that! I vaguely remember that at Cross Current...very vaguely though!

Anonymous said...

Now I know why the melodramatic background piano music runs through my head whenever I think of that story!

Anonymous said...

I've heard that story before and thought it was neat. Dan does such a fantastic job with the mentoring program. He has a great talent when it comes to relating to kids.
love ya,
Sandi