Saturday, March 21, 2009

Crazy Stories: Part 1

I was realizing recently that there are several crazy stories that I don't seem to have posted about. So, I think they will be my next few posts. At the end, you'll either think these stories are crazy as well, or you'll think I've taken up stretching the truth as a new hobby. :-)

Ok, the first one goes back to the week of Thanksgiving. The boys and I went to Rockford with my mom the Tuesday night before Thankgiving; Dan came up the following evening. The night the boys and I got there, I was unloading the van while my mom entertained the boys inside. Caleb somehow ended up with her cordless phone, and about 30 seconds after I took it away from him, it rang.

I was shocked to hear a 911 operator on the other end, informing me she had just received a call from this number, wondering if everything was OK. I immediately connected the dots, realizing Caleb must have hit the right combination of numbers (UNBELIEVABLE), so I apologized profusely and assured her everything was OK. She then informed me that policy is to go ahead and send a squad car anyway. Makes sense, I guess.

So, I meet the cop in the driveway and inform him there's no emergency, just my child playing with the phone. He was SUPER nice, but said he needed to come in and have a look around anyway. So, he came in, looked around, chatted it up with all of us for a bit, got my mom's driver's license and other info and went on his merry way.

Again, he was extremely understanding and nice, so I was very thankful for that, but was still very embarassed! What are the chances?! No more playing with the phone for Caleb! (OK, he still plays with phones all the time, but I do monitor him a little more closely. :-))

Side Note:
I accidentally called 911 myself once on our senior trip. We had just arrived at our hotel, and I was trying to figure out how to use my calling card to call home. I swore the front desk said to dial 9-1- and then the number, so I dialed 9-1-1-800-CALL-ATT. Again the immediate phone call and again the shock. I looked out the window and saw cops pulling up to the lobby entrance. Jamie (my roomie for the trip) was in the shower and I made her immediately get out and get dressed so we could bolt down to the pool and blend in. :-)

3 comments:

Amy Kate said...

Love it!! Char managed to call 911 two times in her younger days. Once when I was home alone and the cops called back, sent someone over but no big whip.
Second time, I was at Kohls, Mike was home with Char, and the cops just came over. I believe he was in pj pants and perhaps topless (he is heavily tattooed). They came in and demanded to know where "Amy O'Connor" is (phone, etc. all in my name) and checked out the house. Bwa ha haha I still laugh hysterically about it.
Love that you guys ran to the pool to hide....WOW!

Amy Kate said...

Love it!! Char managed to call 911 two times in her younger days. Once when I was home alone and the cops called back, sent someone over but no big whip.
Second time, I was at Kohls, Mike was home with Char, and the cops just came over. I believe he was in pj pants and perhaps topless (he is heavily tattooed). They came in and demanded to know where "Amy O'Connor" is (phone, etc. all in my name) and checked out the house. Bwa ha haha I still laugh hysterically about it.
Love that you guys ran to the pool to hide....WOW!

Anonymous said...

Sara:
Per my last visit to your house on the 14th, according to Gabriel, there are a lot more stories you still have to tell! I love the way Gabie tells the stories; so matter-of-factly. Just in case some don't know ALL the stories, I will refrain; but, he cracked me up! Thanks for sharing this one again. Love, Joyce