Monday, May 21, 2007

It happened again...

....twice. Friday I had two people ask if I was having a boy and said they could tell by the way I was carrying. However, because I'm very facinated by people being able to tell, I asked them both how they could tell. One, a sweet old lady at Arlington Park on Friday, said it was because I was carrying low and "in this area," (motioning to her hips!). Yikes...if she only knew my hips are wide whether I'm pregnant or not! She said it was going to be a big boy, about 8 lb. 7 oz. (she may be right, Gabe was 8 lb. 4 oz). Then, later that night at Home Depot, a cashier lady asked if I was having another boy. I said "Yep, how can you tell?" She said "you're carrying just like I did with boys, low and in the front. I couldn't even tell you were pregnant until you turned around." These seem like two opposite theories to me (other than carrying low).

Anyway, what's fascinating is when people guess, they always guess boy. No one has ever asked if I was having a girl! I'm just getting a kick out of keeping track of it now. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had people tell me boy too. But I felt like I carried high. Someone told me boy because they also said they couldn't tell I was pregnant from behind and that it was all in the front. Hmnnn interesting. See you really don't even need an ultrasound to tell you : )

Sally said...

I was told I didn't look pregnant from the back either with Nathan!!!! But I carry high. Again, I say "WHATEVER!"

Christina said...

I am fascinated with all of these theories, too. I just think it's weird that no one ever guesses girl. Also it's funny to me that a lady guessed the birth weight. We'll see very soon I guess!

Katie said...

Well, what fascinates me is what you said in an earlier post about people feeling like they have a right, almost obligation, to comment on how you are carrying, what you are having, how big you are, etc. I mean really, where does this entitlement come from?? The blessing behind it all, is that it is totally worth it to be subjected to other people's judgements because you are having a baby! What a miracle and one so many want but are not promised...sorry to get all deep...just thinking about how absurd my complaining (is that the right word?) is in the face of this wonderful gift. :)