Monday, September 28, 2009

Mentoring Program & Dan's Job Updates

Picnik collage


This is going to be a long post, but bear with me. :-)

We have mentioned to a lot of people that Dan's job is changing and just haven't had a chance to share the detail. I asked Dan if I could post this update because I want to share with you some of the struggles they have been experiencing and Circle Urban Ministries, resulting in the letter below that Dan was asked to send to mentors participating in the mentoring program. I know he wouldn't want to seem like it was a solicitation to our friends and family, but I know that many of you really want to know what's going on and would also really like the opportunity to help in some way.

I am so proud of the work that Dan has been doing over the last 5 years. He will never accept credit for the program or the impact it's having on the youth involved, and without God's help and the support of Miss Emily, the mentors, mentees and families involved, the program wouldn't be what it is today. But, I love his vision and heart to introduce these youth to meaningful relationships that will hopefully have a positive impact on the direction of their life in a very real way. And I've seen the impact it's had with my own eyes through the relationships between mentors, mentees and their families. It seems like a simple enough thing, but agreeing to meet with a student every week for an hour represents a huge committment and I'm so amazed at the folks who have been putting their faith into action via this program.

The good news is, while mentor recruitment has been a challenge at times, there are currently 12-15 new mentors being screened and potentially matched. Things are going really well. That said, there are also kids still on the waiting list; a sign that kids and their families want them to be involved in this program.

All that to say, please read the letter below as an update. We are really hoping that Dan can get back to the mentoring program full-time, especially given the uptick in new mentors and matches. Please don't feel like this is a solicitation of funds (but you won't be turned away if you'd like to donate...see http://www.circleurban.org/ and designate "mentoring"). Prayers are always welcomed for the program and for Circle, particularly as they (and other non-profits) navigate this financial crisis.


*****************************************************

Dear Mentors,

I want to thank each of you for the involvement you’ve had in Circle’s Mentoring Program thus far. Each of you is an answer to prayer and a consistent source of positive role-modeling and encouragement to your mentee. I hope that you have found your experience as a mentor to be one that is rewarding and beneficial, and I look forward to seeing how God uses you in your mentee’s life during the upcoming school year.

Because of your heartfelt commitment to mentoring, I’m writing today to update you on how the economic downturn is affecting this program and to solicit your help. Since our program’s federal grant ended in 2007, we have been funded primarily through the generosity of one private, corporate granter whose annual gifts have supplied almost 75% of our annual budget for the past two years. Due to the current economy, our major funder’s annual donation has been cut in half for the new fiscal year, which began July 1st. The remainder of our funding has come through Circle’s general budget and any specific donations directed toward Mentoring. Like so many ministries in the past year, Circle has been hit hard by a decline in overall giving and has had to face into the realities of staff reductions, salary reductions, and operational budget cuts.

In view of the reduced annual gift from the mentoring program’s major granter and decreased overall funding received by Circle Urban Ministries, we are faced with the reality of having to cut costs in the program. As such, I have been asked to transition roles in order to take on additional responsibilities which will reduce my efforts in Mentoring considerably, beginning in September (Circle has received funds which are required for use in launching a new program. Rather than hiring a new person to staff this position, and therefore having to lay-off a current staff person, I will staff this position until funds are raised for Mentoring to return to full staffing).

All of us desire for this to be a temporary transition. Circle’s management very much wants to see the mentoring program return to full staffing as soon as possible and to continue to grow to serve additional youth who need the positive adult attention and role-modeling that a mentoring relationship provides.

In the five years we have operated the One-to-One Mentoring Initiative, we have been conscientious to ask mentors for nothing more than their consistent, faithful involvement in the lives of mentees. We are tremendously grateful for your personal involvement as mentors, and we never want to appear to take that involvement for granted. While the gift of time, encouragement, and role-modeling you are so generously providing truly is what matters most, current circumstances have, however, brought us to a point where we are compelled to ask for your additional help.

A response card for our Resource Development department is enclosed with this letter. Would you consider helping us through these challenging times in one of two ways?

First, you could advocate on behalf of the program by connecting us to your church or to a corporate charitable giving program who might provide additional funding support. You might even know someone who knows someone or is connected to a company that might be interested in supporting the mentoring program. If you would check the Advocate box and return it to us, and I will follow up with you to discuss making that connection.

Secondly, would you be willing to consider becoming a regular financial partner with Mentoring? Quite frankly, our program’s annual budget is pretty modest, so every person who commits to sponsoring the program is making an impact in helping us achieve our full funding level. If you are interested in becoming a financial partner with Mentoring, please check the Partner box and complete the associated information.

Circle Urban Ministries leadership has committed that 100% of every Mentoring-designated dollar raised will go into restoring the Mentoring budget. That means once we are able to secure these additional pledges and funds, our program staff will return to full strength.

I sincerely thank each of you for your involvement in Mentoring, and I thank you in advance for your support for us and endurance with us through this challenging period. Know that Emily will continue serve as Mentor Coach and will continue to provide her high level of concern and support for mentoring matches during this time. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss any of this further.

Sincerely,


Dan Hogan


“Transforming lives and community through the applied
power of the whole gospel of Jesus Christ”



Picnik collage

Picnik collage

Picnik collage

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara: Thank you for sharing this letter written by Dan. He is such a humble servant of Christ and God uses him mightily in the Austin Community. The Community, the School, the Children need this very special ministry and they need the hope it provides for their lives. God will make a way. I will pray about what I can do to help. Love, Joyce