The first is that he's been doing a chore everyday (mostly everyday). He LOVES to fill the kitty dishes with food downstairs, and when we were on vacation the topic came up. He was saying how much he loved it, and we told him that we could make that his first "chore." We explained that to him and when we told him money was involved, he was on board. :-) (That's another topic...will you pay your kids for chores?) So far, so good. He puts a checkmark on his calendar each day he does it.

The other first was tracing his numbers. I feel like we may be a little behind in the penmanship department, but a couple of weeks ago he yelled (very excited), "Mommy, I wrote my numbers!" And sure enough, he had traced them in his chalkboard book. He was proud and so was I.

The other big thing was the start of four-year-old preschool this past Friday. I'll probably post some additional pics of the day, but he did great. This was definitely much tougher on me than him. I didn't think I'd cry, but I was in tears before I even got out the door! I know it will be good for him, though.

8 comments:
First day of preschool. That's a biggie! I cried too!! Love, Ruth
Great to see you today!!
First day of preschool. That's a biggie! I cried too!! Love, Ruth
Great to see you today!!
Love the pictures Sara! Black and white captures a moment so well ~
How precious. I love that you captured each of these moments. These pictures are great. My favorite is Gabe standing on the sidewalk with his puppy backpack on his first day of school. They seem so old and grown up to us now, but I was just thinking how little and innocent he will look when we look back at these pictures in 5 or 10 years. They really are still our babies! (right!?)
Love you,
Christina
It's so funny how once you have a second one, it is kind of hard to think of the big kid having any more "firsts" but you're right - THEY ARE EVERYWHERE! And you never really know which ones are going to hit you. And as excited as I am for each of El's "firsts," you know, they aren't quite the same as when Char had them, the mystery and surprise is diminished a little (though not the joy at each milestone).
OH, and we definitely do allowance for chores, at least theoretically. Sometimes it slips our minds, but she'll basically get a credit at Target - like we're there and I'll say she has $5 she can spend for doing her chores - but we're trying to do better on consistency.
(She feeds and waters the dog, is the lookout for dog droppings outside, and is starting to put away her own laundry)
He is such a sweet little guy. I am sure the first day of school was hard. I weened Madigan yesterday and cried about that, I can't even imagine sending her off to school!
Can't we just keep them "little" for a couple more decades? =0)
These are such sweet pictures of Gabe and wonderful memories to hold onto. I can only imagine how hard his first day of preschool was for you. I know I'll be sobbing! I'm glad that he loved it though.
It's neat that he already has a chore. I think it's great that he has that responsibility. I like the idea of earning money for chores, and we'll do that for Ben. I think kids learn important lessons in saving and counting and prioritizing. I did class money and a class store as a teacher, and it was neat to see each student's different personality come out when it came to saving versus immediate spending.
Love,
Erica
Great job with the chores. I wish we had done more of that with Cory. Your pictures are wonderful. Gabe is growing into a fantastic little boy. You and Dan are doing a wonderful job of parenting.
love ya,
Sandi
Post a Comment