Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Art Music Justice Tour

When the Hogans came out to babysit for us a couple weekends ago, we took the opportunity to got to a concert with some of our friends. The main draw was Derek Webb, one of our favorite artists, but there four other artists as well performing in the Art Music Justice Tour.

These artists are touring to promote awareness of issues being addressed by a couple of amazing organizations: International Justice Mission and Food for the Hungry.

I really didn't know much about IJM, but it's pretty amazing work they do. Lawyers and other legal professionals work in other countries to free people from bonded slavery and human traficking using the law of that country. The work to prosecute the offenders and train the local nationals to know and use their laws to free these people.

Sara Groves was one of the artists and she had a particularly powerful song that had some video as well, but it just really gave you a sense of thankfulness for people who have given their lives to help others and a sense of burden about we can do personally to help. The lyrics are below, but I've posted a "playlist" of some of the songs from the concert over on the right (it's the first one). It just gave me chills when she gets to the last verse and talks about Harriet Tubman, Jim Elliot, Mother Teresa and others who have done so much for those in need. My heart breaks when I think of some of the stories she told about young girls kidnapped and taken to brothels, etc. It's just crazy how good we have it here - even with our troubled economy.


Anyway, just wanted to share. Check out these two organizations if you get a chance.



When the Saints (Sara Groves)

Lord I have a heavy burden of all I've seen and know

It's more than I can handle

But your word is burning like a fire shut up in my bones and I cannot let it go

And when I'm weary and overwrought with so many battles left unfought
I think of Paul and Silas in the prison yard
I hear their song of freedom rising to the stars
And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them

Lord it's all that I can't carry and cannot leave behind it often overwhelms me
but when I think of all who've gone before and lived the faithful life
their courage compells me

And when I'm weary and overwrought with so many battles left unfought
I think of Paul and Silas in the prison yard
I hear their song of freedom rising to the stars
I see the shepherd Moses in the Pharohs court I
hear his call for freedom for the people of the Lord

And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them
And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them

I see the long quiet walk along the Underground Railroad
I see the slave awakening to the value of her soul
I see the young missionary and the angry spear
I see his family returning with no trace of fear
I see the long hard shadows of Calcutta nights
I see the sisters standing by the dying man's side
I see the young girl huddled on the brothel floor
I see the man with a passion come and kicking down the door
I see the man of sorrows and his long troubled road
I see the world on his shoulders and my easy load

And when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them
and when the Saints go marching in
I want to be one of them
I want to be one of them

3 comments:

Erica said...

Thanks for sharing about these organizations. I looked into both of them. It's heartbreaking to hear about these people's tragic stories, but it's inspiring to know how many people are moved to action to help. I've always liked Sara Groves' songs, and this one is an emotional one. It makes me want to do more!!
Love,
Erica

Anonymous said...

I was hoping they would come my way in Denver...would love to see Derek and Sara again. She was actually a friend of mine in college!

Sara said...

I didn't know that, Lindsey. That's cool!