I've been in the market for some time now for a new rug for our living room (and by "in the market," I mean daydreaming about a Pottery Barn or oriental rug). I had a real bug about it a month or so ago because our old run ($50 bargain from IKEA) showed EVERYTHING and I felt like I needed to constantly vaccuum and clean it, which I didn't do...which bothered me even more.
So, I started surfing craigslist for "pottery barn rug." A few decent listings here and there, but still fairly expensive or not really the design I was looking for. UNTIL.....a listing popped up one day for an 8x10 Pottery Barn rug, less than 1 year-old (they retail for around $650) that was perfect. However, it was paired with a couch...not really something I was in the market for. It was a Bernhardt sofa / chaise, which didn't really mean much to me, but it was somewhat enticing given that we've had a slipcovered couch since we've been married, and it does get a bit old straightening the slipcover all the time (though nice to just throw it in the wash when it's dirty). He told me it was special ordered through Marshall Field's four years ago for $4,500, but the people who ordrered it changed their mind or something, so he got it for $3,000....so he said. I did look online to see what I could find, and I did find a Bernhardt / Martha Stewart sofa / chaise from Macy's for about $3,500, so I guess I took his word for it.
I realize I'm making this a long story, so I'll try to cut to the chase. The guy originally wanted $600 for both, but I was able to using my "broking" skills to get him down to $400 for both! :-) Actually, that's the most Dan would let me offer for something that we didn't really "need," so that's what I told the guy and he told me to tell Dan he drives a hard bargain!
Anyway, I'm very happy with both, and mostly thrilled that this rug doesn't show every little spot! And please excuse the crooked frames on the wall in this pic...they're about to get moved anyway (I can never get them to stay straight)!

4 comments:
Hey, looks great. And did you paint recently? I remember it being a peach color- maybe you had already painted when we came over a few months ago, what do I know?! I don't remember things too well...
Anyway, it looks fantastic! I'll have to remember Craigslist for when we eventually need a rug for when we eventually put in some kind of hard flooring downstairs.... (eventually is the key word here) :)
Sally
It looks awesome! I LOVE Craigslist and have a standard list of items that I usually check for - rug for the living room, gardening stuff, patio glider or furniture, a couple kid things - and I have to say, for you guys, "SCORE!" on the couch and rug! Looks great and even more importantly, the couch looks comfy comfy comfy! Congrats! I love Craigslist!
The rug and couch look great! I can't believe the bargain you got!!! I always look through the Pottery Barn catalogs and admire the furniture and especially the rugs. All of our rugs are from Lowe's and under $100. I would love to have a nice rug someday but only for a bargain price.
The room looks so elegant. Can't wait to see it in person!
Love,
Erica
I LOVE it! You did great finding these two bargains. And that couch is so super comfy!!
Post a Comment