Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Sandbox Adventures

Yesterday was Gabe's first time in his new sandbox. We found one of those turtle sandboxes at a garage sale last weekend for $3 and it was in really good shape (we also got a great armoire for $30!). Anyway, he really loved it. We sat him in it and he just dug his hands in and was just letting it run through his fingers. Then, even though we were watching him closely, he shoved a handful in his mouth and ate it! He made the most terrible face, but he just kept it in his mouth. We tried to show him how to spit it out, but he didn't catch on. Hopefully sand isn't too harmful! After that, an ant got in and I sort of flicked it out along with some sand. Gabe must have thought I was just throwing sand out of the sandbox, because he spent the rest of the time throwing handfuls of sand out on the grass!

It was a lot of fun. I'll post some pics of that as soon as I download them, too.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Sounds like fun! I have been warned about the whole eating sand thing..must be very common and normal...and safe! Was there sand stuck in all of his rolls and crevices? I think I'd be finding it on Henry for days and days!!

Sara said...

It actually wasn't too bad. It was really fine sand, so it mostly just left powdery dust everywhere (including on me)!

Anonymous said...

I know you don't know me I saw your blog by way of Payton’s blog, I have family that knows the grandparents of Payton back in WI. I am in Colorado. I am a preschool teacher and a graduate student and I heard that kids that eat sand are lacking some vitamin. It may have just been curiosity as well.

Anonymous said...

I'm an adult, and I regularly eat sand. It's delicious. Don't believe the hype about it not being edible. Why, it's no different than tomatoes or carrots!