It's been over a month now that Caleb hasn't been sleeping well. He's been pretty fussy during the day sometimes and then gets really upset when we try to put him down for his naps or for bed. I should say that it hasn't been ALL bad; when he finally does go down for his naps, he sleeps 1.5 to 2 hours, usually, and he has even fallen asleep on his own several times. However, he was continuing to wake up at night very upset and stay awake sometimes for an hour or more. Dan and I were talking and decided that we've heard him cry more in the last month than the whole first 6 months of his life! So, it's just been really frustrating not know what to do and whether something's bothering him or he's just being a stinker.
Since I had to take Gabe in to the doctor last week, I decided to do a two-fer (is that how you spell that?) and take Caleb in as well, just in case I was missing something, like an ear infection. I really felt like the change coincided with his 6-month shots (although we had a few episodes before that) and explained everything to the doctor (which was a different doc than we usually see). He ruled out any serious side effects from the shots, no ear infection, etc. By process of elimination he started to wonder if it was acid reflux, and agreed that we were not crazy to wonder what was going on. He gave us a couple of cans of soy formula to try for 5-7 days, which we started last Friday.
Things seemed pretty much the same over the weekend, but last night he was SUPER easy to get down for bed - took a bottle and then fell asleep on his own in just a couple of minutes around 7 p.m. And.....drumroll please.....slept until 5:30 this morning! He woke up and talked to himself a couple of times during the night, but went back to sleep.
He fell asleep easily and on his own for his morning nap, too. Not quite as easy for the afternoon, but very easily by 6 p.m. tonight for bed. Although, he woke up around 7 and was up until about 8, but not upset like he has been over the last few weeks.
So, I know writing all this will probably jinx the good sleep, but it was at least good to get a breather, and maybe there's something to this acid reflux theory? In which case I feel really sad if he's been in pain because of this. I just hope that things will keep getting better and that he'll keep feeling better, poor guy. I think we'll definitely stick with the soy for now!
Monday, February 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh, Sara! I'm so glad you found something that is giving you - Umm....I mean Caleb - some relief on the sleeplessness! You know, I can never tell if something the kids are going through is a random phase, or shots, or teeth, or moodiness, or something to be concerned about. Yay for Sleep!!!
You know Nicole had a similar thing with her 1st where he would wake up screaming.... and it was from milk. Upset tummy and gas. Maybe he's lactose intolerant? I do have a small can of soy formula I can send your way next time we see each other.
Poor baby though.. he's such a happy little guy too.
Wow, that's so interesting about the soy formula. How great that it seems to be working. And isn't it always great to have an answer? Especially after you've struggled for so long with the sleep. It's great that this is quite possibly the answer! Yay. I hope he keeps feeling good and sleeping great!
Post a Comment