...that surgery is over!! And thankful for all your prayers. Things went really well and we're home now. He was the first case this morning; we had to be there at 6 and surgery started at around 7:30 a.m. They do babies first because they can't eat before hand; that's the part that was most stressful for me! He could have no formula after 1 a.m., no breastmilk after 3 a.m. and no water after 4 a.m.. I wasn't sure how that was going to work, so I set my alarm for 12:30 a.m. thinking I would give him a big bottle of formula in hopes that maybe he wouldn't be famished when he woke up (he had a bottle at 7:30 and the night before last he slept 10 hours, so I wasn't sure what he was going to do). Well, I must have turned the alarm off and fell back asleep because the next think I knew it was 2:30!! I really panicked and felt like a terrible mother, and lay there worrying until about 3, when he woke up on his own. I nursed him (though I don't think there's much in there anymore) and he went back to sleep. I was so worried about him waking up that I sat there with him sleeping on me until 5 a.m., so I've been up since 2:30 and am feeling tired from that and all the nerves!
When he woke up at 5 he fussed a little, but I just tried to keep him distracted and he did great the whole time. Dan even had him doing some of his first real laughs in the office while we waited for the doctor and when we put him in his little gown and put him on the bed while the doctors were doing pre-op stuff, he was all smiles...even when they rolled him away! I definitely shed more tears than he did. :-)
When they came out to bring us back to recovery, the anesthesiologist met us and explained that he was having "emergence delerium," which is a state of confusion, panic, etc. that is common in babies coming out of anesthesia, but it didn't prepare me enough for the way he was acting when we got back there. He was completely hysterical and inconsolable, which was very hard to see. He didn't really want to eat and just was screaming. It was hard to hold him because he still had an IV and a heart monitor, etc....overall just very stressful. They gave him an extra boost of pain meds even though he had what they call a caudal block (sp?) (kind of like an epidural, but without anything staying in the back - it will provide some pain relief for him today they said). He's still sleeping now, I woke him up once to give him Motrin and a bottle and he went right back to sleep, so we'll see how things go. I'm just glad this is behind us!
Thanks again for thoughts and prayers.
Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You poor thing! You better take a nap this afternoon! I would have been a wreck too and probably cried the whole time. I'm glad it's over and everthing went well. Just get some rest and give him extra hugs and kisses today!
Jamie
I'm so glad that it's over and that things went well. That sounds really tough...I can't imagine watching him be wheeled away..so sad. :-( I'm glad you're all home now and that he's resting. You definitely probably need a rest too after a long night and stressful morning. Hope he recovers quickly. Love you guys!
Hey Sara, So glad everything went well. It's amazing how resilient babies are. Praying for you and Caleb and the fam. Thanks for posting the recent pictures! Those are great. I clicked on the link and loved the one of Caleb on his tummy with the white background - so cute.
love you,
Heather
Post a Comment