Monday, April 06, 2009

Gabe's First Day of "School"

This past Friday Gabe has his first pre-school experience. I've been wanting to get him involved in something for a long time now, and this seems to be a perfect fit. I know a mom who coordinates a school program on Fridays at the church for a bunch of home-schooled kids. They also have a teacher there doing pre-school for the younger siblings. It's just a couple hours on Friday mornings (though there is the option to stay until 2:30), we know the teacher, it's really close to home, and REALLY inexpensive. They know him and already had a special hook for his coat with his name tag above it. :-)

I was really nervous, because he hasn't done really well in a classroom setting, his only experience being Sunday School. He just gets really scared and sad. So, we were really pumping him up for it. He was going back and forth about it, but mostly seemed OK.

My mom stayed over and was home with Caleb so I could go and just stay there this first time in case things didn't go well. He wanted to wear his new Toy Story t-shirt for his first day, and as we were getting out of the car, he said, "Mommy, what if she (the teacher) doesn't know?" "Know what," I asked. "Know about Toy Story?"

I assured him that she probably did, but that I would ask to make sure (and I did...she probably thought I was crazy, but yes, she knew of Toy Story). The teacher, someone Dan worked with, was very inviting and since we were the first ones there, he got lots of attention and felt comfortable almost right away. I sat in the room for a few minutes and then left and he did great!

It seems like a great program. When we got there, the teacher had hidden little potatoes that they got to search for, then later they planted them in hopes they will grow little potato plants. They learned about the letter L, played follow the leader, sang songs. I sat in the room next door, so I got to sort of hear what was going on, and he was just loving it. I kept hearing him say, "Mrs. Ginter," and afterwards she said he was very polite. :-)

I also heard him say at one point during the class, "Hey! Find me! I'm a potato guy!" (as in the potatoes that were hidden). I'm really excited for him and I think this will be a good first step to 4-year old preschool next year. I did feel a little sad the night before, but was mostly excited that it went so well.

He took his super-cute backpack that Grandma Sandi made to bring home his papers. As we were leaving he said, "I forgot to show Mrs. Ginter my backpack!" So we went back in an when she asked what the doggie's name was, he said, "Ummm...Jacket." (?)

He was really proud of himself and couldn't wait to show Mammow what he had done at school. I can't believe what a big boy he is now!

IMG_0569



IMG_0568

IMG_0572

IMG_0574

IMG_0570


6 comments:

Erica said...

Yay for Gabe! These pictures are darling of him. What a special memory for all of you! His class sounds great--I love that potato idea.

It's sweet that you sat in the next room and listened. I would love to do that someday when Ben goes to school for the first time (can't even think about it now or I'll cry!) It's amazing to watch these boys grow. I'm glad he really enjoyed his first day at school.

Love,
Erica

Jill and Billy said...

What cute pictures of Gabe! I LOVE that first one. I'm so glad his first school day went well!!

Amy Kate said...

you know, with my whole extra year of motherhood on my side, I will tell you that it is so weird to see them in settings without you - it's the first step to them having their own life, their own world, and influences and knowledge outside of your control. And it is SO NEAT to see them becoming their own person, but so weird because, you know, they're still our little ones.
You have to be so proud. It sounds like a great program, great first step into school, and just good stuff all around. Yay Gabe! (And Sara!)

Anonymous said...

Awww, I have tears in my eyes looking at the photos; he looks like such a big boy. Where has the time gone? I'm so proud of him for accomplishing his first day of school. I'm so glad he enjoyed it! I love the photos and all the details. Thanks for sharing Sara. Love, Joyce

Anonymous said...

Way to go Gabe!! I'm so happy Gabe liked his first day of preschool. Holly and Jill went to Grace Lutheran for preschool and loved it. I do remember having a few tears when they started. (Me not them, :0) Sounds like a wonderful program. The pictures are too cute! Love, Ruth

Anonymous said...

He looks so grown up. I know he will have a great time in preschool. He is so smart and is such a good communicator. I still remember dropping Cory off at preschool and now he is going to graduate from high school. It goes too fast. Enjoy every minute.
love ya,
Sandi