Friday, April 03, 2009

Crazy Stories: Final Installment

So, I'm here in Rockford with the boys tonight and everyone's sleeping, so I thought I'd go ahead and finish up my "Crazy Stories" series. Especially for those waiting on pins and needles. :-)

OK, so this story goes back about a month and a half to Valentine's Day weekend. I think I posted before that Gabe and I come to Rockford that Saturday for the Hogan packzi (?) party (Dan and Caleb weren't feeling well). We were going to come just for the afternoon, but ended up swinging by my dad's on the way out of town and just crashing there.

We rolled out of bed on Sunday morning, hopped in the van and started on our way through Belvidere to get on 90 (easiest way to get on from Cherry Valley). We swung through the Mickey D's drive-through for some hot cakes for Gabe and went on toward Genoa Road.

I noticed as I came to the light at Genoa Road that there was also a cop on Genoa Rd. waiting to turn left (toward Rockford) as I was turning right onto Genoa Rd. No biggie, it was a quiet Sunday morning, so I just noticed he was the only other one around.

I turned right onto Genoa Road and reach back to hand Gabe his hotcakes. When I sat back up, I noticed the cop was behind me and pulling me over. Weird, but I actually didn't feel that panicked - I knew I wasn't speeding (not even up to the speed limit yet), I knew my license, insurance, registration, etc. were all current, so I thought maybe I had swerved or something when I handed Gabe his hotcakes. I expected to quickly explain myself and be on my way.

Boy, was I wrong.

The office came to my window and asked for my license. I remember his hands shaking a little bit when he took it, which I thought was a little weird. Then, he proceeds to ask me if I am aware that there is a warrant for my arrest. WARRANT. FOR. MY. ARREST.

Now, I'm feeling shocked. "A warrant? For MY arrest?" I asked. He proceeded to ask if it "rang any bells" and inquired as to whether I might have unpaid parking tickets, a divorce in the works, etc.....to all I respond "No!" He informed me that sometimes it's a mistake, he'll go double check, and I am still thinking this is crazy, but surely he's going to come back from his car and tell me that it's a mistake, apologize for the inconvenience and send me on my merry way.

I called Dan while he went back to the car to fill him in on the situation. I'm starting to cry and feel worried.

When the officer returned, he confirmed that this was indeed a valid warrant issued for contempt of court by a judge in DuPage county. At this point, I am sobbing, and asking what this is all about, what does this mean, what is going to happen?! He told me he'd need to take me in, that I would need to post bond, and that I'd get a court date for DuPage and work it out there. NOW I AM PRETTY MUCH HYSTERICAL, because, I inform him, my 4 year old is in the back seat.

He did not realize this, and asks if there's someone nearby who can come and get him. I am in shock, still sobbing.....I called my dad to see if he could come. I'm fairly sure this was a call my dad NEVER expected to receive. Ever. He says he's on his way, that he'll bail me out, not to worry, but I am worrying a kind of worry I had never experienced! What was happening? Did someone steal my identity? Did a parking ticket blow of my windshield? Was I getting jury summons to my old address and not showing up? My mind was racing.

The cop agreed to wait until my dad came (my mom came as well). I called Dan to tell him what was going on...he was surfing the DuPage county website trying to figure things out as well, and feeling helpless 70 miles away from us. Another cop also came for "back-up" in the meantime.

When my parents finally arrived, they came over and hugged me and I thought I would just walk back to the car, possibly avoid "cuffs" and go get this sorted out. Wrong again. When we got back to his squad car, he asked me to stand behind the vehicle and put my hands behind my back and cuffed me. I remember saying something like "I think I'm going to be sick" and I did really feel like I was going to throw up. I DO NOT, however, remember hearing my rights read? I also remember my mom yelling and saying something like "Is that really necessary?!" and the other cop yelled for her to get back in her (my) vehicle. My dad followed in his car.

You should also know that, thankfully, Gabe seemed unfazed by this whole ordeal. While I was sobbing and waiting for my parents, he told me he was "All done!" with his hot cakes and wondered what to do with the container. "Throw it on the floor, baby" was my reply through my sobbing. :-) I'm really glad that he wasn't freaked out by everything that was going on.

So, we get to the jail, waiting to pull in to some type of parking garage at the Boone County Jail. My dad walks up and gives the guy a piece of his mind, to which the copy responded "I can't just not follow procedure because someone's nice" or something like that. He also told me on the way that I was "lucky" I was going to the Boone County jail because it's like a "country club" compared to DuPage or Cook counties.

When he got me out of the vehicle, there were maybe three other officers waiting in a nearby room. I was asked to take off my shoes, coat, outer sweater and put all my belongings, including my wedding rings, in a bin. All of my belongings were logged, and in the meantime I had to put my hands on a wall and spread 'em so a female cop could search me. Then, I was cuffed to the wall while they took my information.

After that came the mug shot. I only wish I had a copy to go along with this post. Not really. I hope I never see it. And I hope it never shows up on the internet. :-) Then, my holding cell. Small room with a bench, metal toilet and sink, steel door with small window. I sat in there about a 1/2 hour while my bail was processed. While I was sitting there, I was just thinking how scary it was...what if I was someone who didn't have family nearby? What if I didn't have the means to post bond? What if I was being accused of something more serious and interrogated? I was started to understand the whole idea of "forced confessions." It's very scary to feel so out of control, to know that these people have no reason to believe you because, after all, I'm sure most of the people they bring in think they are "innocent."

Finally I'm released and given my belongings. I vaguely remember one of the officers giving me some Valentine's candy. Then I was giveny court date with an admonition..."Don't miss this date!" I totally lost it again and explained to them that I don't blow stuff off and have no idea what's going on. They still just look at me and tell me to work it out in court.

This was by far the most unbelievable and surreal morning ever. I was glad to get out of there, but still troubled and puzzled by what happened and why. And the next day was a court holiday. Great.

On Tuesday, after maybe 3 or 4 transfers between departments within the DuPage County Clerk's office, I find out there is a case brought against a JOSEPH HOGAN and SARA by Plass Appliances. Apparently these people neither paid their bill nor showed up for court. I'm a mess again, because I don't know how to clear it up, but relieved that I hadn't actually done anything wrong (and hadn't know it).

I know this is getting long, so I will say that will the help of an attorney who helped my for free (my boss' niece) and a conversation with the judge and appliance store's attorney in court a couple weeks ago, this is now over. However, I was told by the judge that he can't assure it won't happen again, and that I should carry a copy of the certified court order with me wherever I go. Lovely. This lady has a Chicago address (not mine), brown hair, brown eyes and my birthday. FREAKY. However, on the revised warrant they amended her b-day to 1975 instead of 1978..I think it was misread on the first one, which would have maybe helped avoid this whole situation.

So, there's a "crazy story" you probably thought you'd never hear about me. :-) I'm sure I left out some of the details, but the main ones are there. Like the fact that I WAS ARRESTED.

I still can't believe it! I do want to say thank you to EVERYONE who was so supportive through this whole ordeal. Again, I can't imagine folks who don't have friends or family to help them through something like this. Thanks to Dad for bailing me out, mom for being with Gabe, Beck for leaving work and arriving at the jail with a look on her face like she was going to kick someone's ***, and everyone else who offered kind words and support. Love you all!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sara, I'm so sorry you had to go through this! I'm glad it is over and pray it doesn't happen again! Love, Ruth

Amy Kate said...

OH MY WORD!
Michael and I could barely read through the whole thing because we were laughing our butts off, because, well, it's you! Sara!! Us? We have warrants out for tickets and such. I mean, not NOW, but in the past. We've been cuffed, had to pick Kelly up from the pokey in LaGrange, so for us this is pretty much de rigeur.
But I never ever ever would have expected this to come from you!
I always knew there was a dark side to you, Sara Lou, lurking just under the surface.

SCOFFLAW!!!

Jill and Billy said...

I just read this to Billy while he made us breakfast and, ohmygosh, we are dying laughing. I feel so awful for you - I can't even imagine dealing with that! I would have been a MESS. I'm so glad your family was near to bail you out.. Ha - just saying "bail you out" and thinking of you - nice, sweet, caring Sara - BAILED OUT makes me crack up all over again.

I love that Gabe just said "All done!" and asked what to do with the container. So cute.

I'm SO sorry this happened to you, but thanks for a great Saturday morning read!

Sally said...

Oh my gosh, I couldn't laugh at all during this story! Like your sister, I wanted to kick someone's butt. How could they not straighten out your identity to start with? Couldn't they have checked SS#'s or something!?! That is just preposterous. It is so nice to see that you can look back and not be too upset or outraged; I would be. What a blessing family is... glad it's all over for you (for the most part).

Jamie said...

I still think it's too crazy that it could happen and think you should have been able to do something to get some sort of payback or something.
I'm really glad Gabe was ok, I thought of that after you told the story and forgot to ask how he was and was really hoping he wasn't freaked out by the whole thing too.
It's funny, but I'm still mad for you that it even happened!

Amanda said...

This is shocking! I'm glad that everything is working out ok for you, but I couldn't imagine going through it. Thumbs up on your crazy story! I even checked to see if you wrote this on April Fools, it's just unbelieveable.

Carrie said...

Hearing all the details just makes it all the more INSANE...so sorry this happened to you, Sara!

Anonymous said...

Now - - finally - - people will believe me when I tell them my daughter-in-law has been in jail. LOL! Love, your mother-in-law. :-)

Erica said...

Sara, I was mortified when you told me what happened at Gabe's party. I still can't believe it!!!! I would have been a wreck and very angry about the whole situation. It seems that you've put it behind you and handled it all with grace and courage.
I'm glad it's been sorted out, but I think I would have that certified court order laminated and made into a necklace! ha ha! :-)

I'm sorry this happened to you and hope you never have to deal with this again!

Love,
Erica