Friday, July 18, 2008

Caleb's Birthday

Caleb's first birthday was last Monday and both Dan and I took the day off so we could celebrate as a family. We originally thought we might go to the zoo, but the forecast was calling for some storms, so we decided to go down to the Children's Museum at Navy Pier instead. We get in free because the company I work for has a membership, but as it turns out, EVERYONE gets in free on the first Monday of the month. Needless to say, it was a little bit crowded, but we still had a lot of fun. One thing I really love there are the areas they have for non-walkers - keeps them from getting run over, plus Caleb loves them, too (almost as much as he loves himself....note him giving himself a big smooch in the mirror)!




After the museum we ate lunch at Bubba Gump's, which was fun and delicious...I hadn't been there in years. And after that it was ice cream cones at McD's (Caleb LOVES ice cream).







Dan and Gabe decided to ride the ferris wheel while Caleb and I hung out (separate post to come on that), and then we came home for a Little Caesar's dinner, cupcakes and presents outside in the yard. Here's a video of the birthday song, with a couple of hiccups. :-) Also, note the grimace on his face at the end...I am pretty sure I got too close and he touched the burning candle (mom of the year, I know - no injuries sustained, though).


He wasn't quite sure what to do with his cupcake at first, but once he figured it out he pretty much ate the whole thing! For presents he got a little fish bowl toy and some clothes and Gabe picked out a "Cars" car and a toothbrush for him. :-)
It was a great day. I'll post separately on his one-year milestones and also his party. And if I haven't posted enough pics here already, you can see more pics here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The museum looks like such fun. I know we always enjoyed taking Dan and Christina and later Cory to the one in Rockford. Caleb looks like he was having a ball. Looking at him enjoying the museum makes him seem much more the little boy and less the baby. He is growing up fast. I love the way Gabe tried to start singing Happy Birthday faster in the video.
Love, Sandi

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Caleb...He's so cute...can't believe he's already one...you have a beautiful family!

Amber :)

Erica said...

It looks like it was a great first birthday! The Children's Museum looks really fun, and it's nice that Gabe and Caleb can play together more now (tic-tac-toe!). They're going to have SO much fun together as they grow older. I love the picture of Caleb eating his ice cream cone...so cute!
It was great seeing you two weekends in a row.
We have to do it more often!
Love,
Erica

Anonymous said...

You guys sure know how to make birthdays special! Your boys will always remember. :)
Where did the last year go anyhow? Caleb is such a beautiful boy and growing so fast! And, he's definitely a boy after my own heart the way he loves Ice Cream! YEAH, Caleb!! Love you! Oma

Christina said...

Happy Birthday Caleb! He is such a doll and looks like he is having so much fun at the museum! It looks like you guys had such a special day. We loved celebrating with you two weekends in a row! Caleb's party was so much fun. You did a great job with the baseball theme and all of the details were adorable. Now you get to rest for a while! :-)

Love you guys and Happy First Birthday Caleb!