Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Running Man

So, by now most of you know that Dan is training to run the Chicago Marathon on 10-10-10.  After training for and running the Rockford half marathon this spring, he decided to continue to training in hopes of running a full marathon this fall.  Let me just say this: I was SUPER proud of him for doing the half  this spring (and Christina and Patrick, too!).  But to say that I'm proud of him for training for this marathon would be a huge understatement.

Here are the things he would probably never tell you:

  • He's lost 42 pounds and has become a healthier person in the training process.
  • He has amazing discipline, sometimes running late at night when I know he'd rather be relaxing (or sleeping).
  • He has pushed through knee and hip flexor pain - not letting either discourage him (and thankfully they both healed).
  • He is using the training process and his relationship with the Hall Steps foundation to foster a running mentoring relationship with his mentee, DeShawn, who told Dan he wants to train for a 5k.
  • He'd love to be a part of a starting a running mentoring program with the Steps Foundation in our neighborhood and has been participating in Saturday morning "running club" to support this effort.
  • He has inspired me to be more healthy and has shown our boys what it means to have discipline and dedication.
As he finishes up his final couple weeks of training and prepares for the big race day, please keep him in your prayers.  Many of you have shown support in so many ways already, so thank you for that - I know he is very grateful.  If you haven't done so already, please visit his fundraising page at www.crowdrise.com/danhogan and consider donating to the causes he is running to support: clean water projects in Africa through World Vision, anti-human trafficking efforts through International Justice Mission, and youth mentoring projects through the Hall Steps Foundation.

I'm so proud of you, Dan.  We love you and are cheering you on every step of the way!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow, 42lbs... that's amazing! And yes, that takes lots of discipline. You have good reasons to be proud!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the great post about Dan. You're right; there are many things he would never mention about himself; he's amazing like that. Thank you for bringing us up to speed about all the wonderful things going on in his life. I, too, am very proud of him. This has been an incredible accomplishmet, one that he rightfully could be proud of, but probably will be just as humble as ever. That's my boy. :) Love him so. Thanks for sharing, Sara. Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend and cheering Dan on. Love, Joyce

Christina said...

I will agree....running that marathon and completing all of the training was such an accomplishment. I am so proud of him, too. And 42 lbs...that is amazing! Congratulations, Dan. I hope you know that you're an inspiration to all of us too. We are so proud!!

Love,
Christina