Friday, July 30, 2010

Backyard Bible Club

Last week we had the pleasure of hosting a Backyard Bible Club for our church. It's something we've wanted to do for the last couple of years, but this year we actually were able to do it.

The concept is just inviting kids from your block or neighborhood to participate for 3 or 4 evenings in crafts, Bible stories, snacks, etc. I was suprised by the number of people who have said, "oh, used to go to those when I was a kid!" So, I guess the concept has been around for a while!

While you can lead them on your own, we elected to have the Sunday School coordinator from church do the lessons. :-) She taught a series on the fruits of the Spirit - with the first lesson on patience and self-control that involved building a structure from gumdrops (without eating them!). she did a fantastic job and the kids really enjoyed listening to her.

It was a great experience. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was so happy to meet these kids and some of their family members as well. It just felt like we were finally making the effort to get to know some of those around us, which is something we've wanted to do for a long time.

We had around 15 kids for each of three nights, more than we expected! Most of them we rounded up down at the park or walking on the block. By the third night everyone literally ran down the block when we told them it was time to start. And then they even came back Thursday, even though it ended Wednesday! They still came and hung out and played basketball for a while. A bunch of them really wanted us to do it every week. It was sweet and I was just happy they enjoyed it and felt welcomed in our...yard.

Definitely makes me want to get to know them better and let our home be a place where they can come and be encouraged. And a good lesson for our boys as well in opening our home and sharing God's love with others.

IMG_6766

IMG_6744

IMG_6748

IMG_6733

IMG_6742

IMG_6732

IMG_6726

IMG_6761

5 comments:

Teara said...

That is very cool!!

Erica said...

I'm inspired and encouraged by your willingness to open up your home to the kids in your neighborhood (after long days at work!) and by the love and kindness you showed them. It melts my heart to see these pictures. What a blessing to them and to Gabe and Caleb to see God's love shared like this! You and Dan are amazing!
Love,
Erica

Anonymous said...

It looks like you all had a wonderful time. I'm so glad that you got to do this. I think we may have have a backyard Bible school once when I was little.
love ya,
Sandi

Christina said...

I love this. I absolutely love everything about this. I love the children that come running. The crafts they created. The pictures of their little hands working so hard. The image of them all running toward your home. The fact that they all came back for another night after it was over. And that your two boys got to be a part of sharing their home and God's love with their neighbors this way. Ah, I love it all. You guys are amazing to open up your home this way.

Love you,
Christina

Anonymous said...

This takes me back to when the kids were little (Dan & Christina) and we lived on Alliance Avenue. We hosted many backyard bible clubs. You and Dan are definitely an inspiration. Your neighborhood and those you love are very blessed. Thanks for all you do. Love, Mom