Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Back to Blogging

I could make lots of excuses for my lack of blogging lately, but I will spare you and just say this: time to get back to it!

I'm going to start with an easy one. Two weeks ago, on July 17, we took they boys for their first dentist visit. And before you call DCFS, I want you to know that I realize we were SERIOUSLY delinquent in scheduling this momentous occasion. :-)

Now that we got that out of the way, I must say it wasn't too bad! We took them to a dentist who does only pediatric dentistry in Bucktown / Wicker Park and they were so super great there. The dentist we saw is actually filling in for our dentist, who's on maternity leave. She was wonderful - super friendly with the boys, spending lots of time talking with them and showing them around, letting them play with the tools and squirt the water and air - definitely a great intro.

Then it was time to get in the chair. This played out the complete opposite of what I was expecting. Gabe ended up being the very nervous one and Caleb hopped right in the chair, put on this glasses and let her count and brush his teeth with no problem! Gabe, not so much. He did OK, but was very shy and ended up sitting on Dan's lap. We actually go back with him this weekend to do some x-rays. She was very into "easing" them into things and not trying to do too much in one visit.

So, all-in-all, it was a good first visit. They even got to watch Dora while they were in the chair and pick a prize for listening "with their ears." :-)

IMG_6595

IMG_6596

4 comments:

Jamie said...

glad your back : )
I need to schedule H, they say around 3 for the 1t time right... I did ask my dentist about it and he did say it's better to bring them younger just so they don't get too scared later on, maybe that's why Caleb did better.

Erica said...

Yay! I'm glad you're back! It sounds like you found a really nice dentist to make it a positive experience for the boys. I'm with Gabe--if I could, I would sit on someone's lap at the dentist! :-) We need to schedule Ben's first visit and our own....we're way overdue!! Thanks for the reminder.
Love,
Erica

Anonymous said...

What a darling post! I love the photo of Dan and Gabe; and Caleb is so BRAVE!! Someday you'll have to share your dental experiences and tell your boys how thankful they need to be that they don't have to go to Dr. Pong A Nong Gong! LOL :-) I still have nightmares! Joyce

Christina said...

Yay! Back to blogging! I love seeing your updates and posts.

These pictures of the boys from the dentist are priceless. I love Caleb in those glasses and the way he's looking at the dentist. And Gabie looks so brave sweet on Dan's lap! Adorable!!
BTW, we just visited the dentist for our boy's first time, too :-)