Monday, August 02, 2010

Potty Training: Part Two, Day Three

WARNING: This post contains detailed accounts of potty training endeavors, so if that is offensive to you, read no further. :-)

IMG_7400


After a fairly successful start a couple of months ago, we totally fell off the potty training bandwagon. And by "we," I mean "me." I was definitely feeling lazy about it and was finding one excuse or another to keep delaying it, so this weekend we bit the bullet, again.

Saturday we got a stack of underpants out again and went for it (starting at about 1 p.m. after we had run some errands). He did fine - no accidents, but also nothing in the potty, which meant he was just holding everything. Dan even tried to get him to pee on a tree in the back, and he stood there a few times, but nothing. And he sat on the potty a few times saying he had to go, but nothing.

So, not wanting to go back to diapers (b/c I told him we weren't going to wear them anymore), we put a pull up on for bed. I am not super crazy about pull-ups, but I knew since it was Day 1 and he hadn't gone, that he would probably need it. And he did.

Day 2: Underpants when we woke up, pull-up for church. Went in the pull up at church. Hmmmm.....back to underpants when we got home. Nothing all day; a few attempts at the tree and potty seat again, but nothing. THEN, after bathtime, FINALLY he went in the little potty. Yippee! Pull-up again for bed, but woke up dry.

Day 3 (Today): Underpants all day. Went once on the tree outside (hey, desperate times call for desperate measures and rumor has it that is how Dan was potty trained!). Then tonight he wanted to go on the tree again after unsuccesfully sitting on the potty. OK. Back outside, standing by the tree when to my shock and amazement....wait, that's not pee!!!! Ummm...yeah....don't worry, we cleaned it up, but GROSS. That may be the end of our outside endeavors! But at least he told us he had to go and it wasn't in his underpants! And then back in a pull-up tonight.

So, I think it's progress. Sorry for all the graphic detail, but I gotta document for posterity, ya know?

Tonight he wanted to wear his "Super Caleb" costume from Henry's birthday party (thanks, Tina!). I could not resist these pics of him running around like Captain Underpants. In a RUN DMC shirt.

IMG_7401

IMG_7402

IMG_7391

IMG_7368

IMG_7367

3 comments:

Christina said...

Yay Caleb!! I think he's got it! That story about him umm, not peeing on the tree outside had me cracking me up. We're in potty training mode here too and I think William's pretty much got it. What are we going to do with no more diapers??? Kinda sad. Time for another baby I guess :-) :-)

P.S. I was totally thinking this post should be titled "Captain Underpants" when I saw that first picture. Funny that you wrote that at the end!

Congrats with the success!!

Ruth said...

Yay Caleb!! I think he is getting it!! Love the photos! Yes, definitely looks like Captain Underpants!! Laughed out loud when I read about the special something he left by the tree outside!!! :0)

Anonymous said...

Caleb is doing a GREAT job. I'm proud of him. I would like to clear up an urban legend however, about his father. I have absolutely no memory of Dan being potty trained outside on, by or near a tree, not be my at least. I am a wee bit mortified this has become part of the regimen. :) Perhaps the legend is true, but it wasn't administered by me, that's all I'm saying. Love, Oma
Potty on, Caleb and don't forget to flush.