Thursday, August 26, 2010

It's Official!

IMG_7851


Gabe is officially a kindergartener! Day 1 went well (for both he and I!). He was definitely a little hesitant once we got to the classroom, but we spent about 10 minutes sort of checking things out in the classroom and talking to the teachers and some other kids. He kept telling us he didn't want us to leave, but with the help of the teacher and her assistant, his attention was successfully diverted to a craft and we said our farewells. I was proud that I held my tears until we started walking out of the classroom. :-) I was definitely emotional for a few minutes, but knew that the hardest part was over.

Rather than us picking him up at his class, all the kindergarteners walk out with the teachers to the parents waiting outside. When he saw us, he came RUNNING! He was definitely happy to see us. He said they had cupcakes and that he even drank all his milk (highly unusual for him)! And they played outside. That was about all he wanted to say - he's not really one for details. :-)

The eventful day continued at bedtime when, while Dan was reading some of the children's Bible, he decided he wanted to pray to ask Jesus into his heart. He is such a thinker - asking lots and lots of questions and still trying to process the fact that Jesus lived on earth and died for us. I love that he questions things and processes them the way he does. I deifnitely want his faith to be his own - something he came to his own conclusion about. We are rejoicing tonight that he took this step.

So, it was a big day, and I'll remember it always.

(I will post more pics from today, but I am worn out for the night!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, special day and the angels are rejoicing! I cried when I read that Gabriel asked Jesus into his heart. There's someting so beautiful about generation after generation walking with Christ and now we have that. Since I didn't come from Christianity, it's ALL that I hoped for. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful, moving post. Love you all. Mom

Anonymous said...

What a great day! You are both such wonderful parents and have done a great job of modeling Christ for your children.
love ya, Sandi

The Jones Family said...

Love that picture. And Loved the letter your wrote below - so beautiful. You really do write well. What a good mommy you are and so happy to see how Gabe is growing as a boy and now as follower of Christ.
Love you!

Erica said...

What an amazing day! I'm glad he enjoyed his first day and finished his milk :-) I love he included that detail.
My heart filled with happiness when I read Gabe accepted Jesus into his heart. It's all we hope and pray for our children!
Love,
Erica

Christina said...

I am so far behind on blogs. I've been a lazy blogger and even worse commenter. I'm sorry!

This is such a special day. What an amazing way to start his first day of kindergarten. I'm so excited and happy that he decided to ask Jesus to come into his heart! He is such a sweet boy; I love the way he thinks things through and comes to his own conclusions. So happy for him, too!

Love you,
Christina