
We had parent / teacher conferences last night at Gabe's school and it was such a proud moment. Gabe's teacher had all nice things to say about him, and I just wanted to jot a few down so I can remember them:
He plays well with his classmates.
He "gets" her humor (sarcasm!).
He can count to 129, except for skipping 15 and 110 to 119 :-).
He likes to build "spaceships" with his buddies.
He listens well.
He knows the numbers on dice by sight without having to count them (thanks to Cootie!).
He is well coordinated when playing outside or in the bike room.
School has been a good experience for him, and we were so proud of him. So proud, in fact, that we gave him 5 bonus stickers on his new chart. Because, as well as he behaves at school, we are working on making "good choices" at home. :-) We've been wanting to implement some type of system for a while now. Our biggest issues are just whining- and attitude-type issues. So, when he makes a bad choice, he moves over to "I need to think about my choices." And then if he has a subsequent "bad choice," he moves all the way to the left and gets a time out. If he's in the "good choice" pocket at lunch, dinner and bedtime, he earns stickers (up to 3 a day). Oh, and two bonus stickers for sleeping in his own bed all night. :-)

Dan came up with this (it was the teacher in him, I think :-)), but it's nice to have something in place to give us (all) some structure. And his first goal is to get to 50 stickers, at which time he gets a trip to Legoland in Schaumburg. He definitely was into it today, so, we'll see how it goes! I don't mean to make him sound like he's not a good kid at home, he definitely is. But, I think a little added incentive will be good.

3 comments:
Great idea! I think we all need something concrete to keep us on track. (And Gabe is a great kid!)
love ya,
Sandi
Wow! Gabe is doing so well! What a joy to hear all of that at his conference. I'm glad he's liking school so much and is having a wonderful experience there. The teacher in me LOVES the chart at home too! We just started one for Ben....he doesn't quite get it yet :-)
Love,
Erica
129! Wow, I am so impressed and so proud of Gabe! How wonderful to get such a great report and hear all of those great things about him at school. Such an encouragement to a mama, I'm sure! You're doing such a great job. I love your incentive chart. We've tried a few different things over the years and may have to try this one next! ha!
love,
Christina
Post a Comment