
This picture really has nothing to do with this post, but I like it (it's from when we went to Lake Geneva for Dan's birthday), and heaven knows I can't post something without a picture! :-) I guess the freshly fallen snow could tie into the "fresh" theme....anyway...
I've been thinking long and hard this year about changes I want to make, and how I want to approach them. I've seen several folks out in blogland using the "one word" approach...things like "discipline," "intentional," "celebrate." All great words to describe a particular focus. I think if I went with this approach, my word would be "habits." I need to form more positive habits in my daily life:
-More organized housekeeping habits (finding a good schedule)
-Better eating habits for me and my family (researching what is really healthiest)
-Exercise habits ('nuff said)
-Shopping / meal planning habits (better lists, menus, etc.)
-Reading habits (reading a stinkin' book...it's ridiculous that I don't!)
-Hobby habits (making time for learning more about photography and sewing)
-Spiritual habits (prayer and reading)
-Financial habits (better system for bill paying, use quicken, etc.)
-Better beauty routine habits (like moisturizing at night!)
I could add a lot of things to that list, and most of them appear on my list each year, but the idea is that I just need to get in the habit of doing certain things, and break the bad habits I've developed over the last few years (or lack of good habits). It's a daunting goal, but I really want to do better.
On a more general note, I was listening to Moody radio on the way to the grocery store the other night. Dan always listens to Moody, and I usually change it to the Mix (shameful, I know), but the show that was on caught my attention. It was a pastor and his wife who wrote a book called "30 days to Live," and apparently they had sort of compiled a lot of thoughts and lessons from their interactions with folks who were in the final stages of life. I didn't listen for very long, but picked up a couple of things I wanted to remember:
-People who know the end of life have immense appreciation for small things...like a cool breeze or a drink of water.
-They found that a lot of terminally ill folks said that one of the first things they did after learning of their illness was to forgive others. Bitterness can drain so much from a person, and prevent them from focusing on and appreciating more important things.
-Those in the final stages want others to understand they should stop living with the "someday mentality."
That last one really stuck with me. I am totally guilty of that. I'm truly grateful for my life, but I do find myself thinking that life will somehow be better or less stressful "when things aren't so hectic" or "when we finally get the house the way we want it" or "when we have a bunch of extra money in the bank" or whatever it might be.
All the thinking about "someday" totally wastes "today." Today is my life, right now, and there may always be a reason that I'm looking forward to something, someday, but I want to enjoy each day as I'm in it and appreciate it for what it is.
Sorry, that was a little heavy, and I probably am not articulating it the way I'd like, but it makes sense to me and where I'm at right now.
So, this year, I really want to focus on forming better habits and leaving behind the "someday mentality." So, say a prayer for me and I'll do the same for your as you resolve to do whatever it is you'd like to do this year.
Here's to a happy and healthy 2010!
Saturday, January 02, 2010
Fresh Start
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I love this post, Sara. I like what you posted about the Moody radio show; that "someday" mentality is something I am totally guilty of too. Looking back I think I thought by now I'd have some of those things or have accomplished some things that were on my someday list...but I don't and I haven't. And that's ok with me too. So why do we waste our days away thinking about how great things might be someday? Rhetorical question cause I totally do that. Anyway, I love your reflections and your goals...you have some big ones!! You can totally do it. Start with the moisturizing at night. That one sounds pretty easy...it will feel so good in this cold, dry weather!
Love you,
Christina
Sara,
I am proud of you and I know you can make the changes you are seeking to make!!! I loved the post and I agree that the "someday mentality" has got to go in my own life! I love you and I am happy for you!!
Hi Sara, I love this post too. I have a lot of habits I need to change too, and I love what you wrote about the someday mentality (I linked to this post from mine today). Thank you for sharing! Here's to a new year!
Love,
Erica
This post was inspiring. Definately something I need to think about especially the someday mentality. I'm afraid I spend a lot of my days just trying to make it through to tomorrow and not appreciating what I have.
love ya,
Sandi
Post a Comment