OK, so I am clearly on a video kick now that I have figured out how easy it is (you don't even have to wait anymore)! This is a video of what happened to us last weekend. We woke up Friday morning and came downstairs to find an odd wet spot on the rug. It wasn't a huge spot, but I know it wasn't a spill from Gabe or anything because we had just come downstairs together. After a couple of seconds we realized where the water had come from....the CEILING! We looked up and the ceiling was dripping water and was pretty bowed like it was holding a ton of water. If you've ever seen the movie "Money Pit," I had visions of the bath tub falling through the ceiling and shattering on the floor. Dan had read in one of his home improvement books that it's best to poke a small hole to allow the water to drain, which is what you will see in this video. Yikes! We immediately figured we'd be gutting the bathroom and starting the renovation last weekend since it's something we're planning on anyway, but we decided to figure out what the problem was first, which involved cutting a HOLE in the living room ceiling. It turns out the bath tub drain was leaking - the seal was totally gone. So, Dan ended up cutting the old pipe and replacing the entire drain assembly, which ended up being only about a $30 fix. Now, we just have to replace the ceiling! Oh the charm of an older home!
Thursday, August 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Yikes!! That sounds exciting. It could always be worse I guess. Good luck with the ceiling...
Oh my gosh! How long did that drain for? How much was up there? How much will it cost to fix? I'm full of questions!
WHOA! I guess I just expected some drops, but I was shocked when I heard it POURING out. That is crazy. How much ended up coming out? How gross that it was the old water. Be sure to let us know when you're replacing the bathroom so we can all come up and help! (well, Patrick will help!)
Post a Comment