Monday, March 25, 2013
Happy 8th Birthday, Gabie Baby!
Gabe,
It's that time of year again; you're about to turn another year older and as in the past, I'm sitting at the computer on the night before your birthday thinking about how quickly time is passing. I read in a book recently that the days are long, but the years are short. Never was a statement more true.
Tomorrow you'll be 8 years old, and, as Bapa Hogan mentioned to you on the phone, that's halfway to driving age - yikes! You are growing and becoming more mature. You are still an excellent student and your teacher tells us you have a determination that helps you stick with things until you figure them out. You are helfpul to others and well behaved.
You LOVE basketball and want to be an NBA player when you grow up. We've been watching the Bulls closely this season; you've been checking your Bulls calendar and alerting us whenever a game will be on television. And now we are watching the NCAA tournament and even completed brackets. I love that each morning you check the iPad to see the conference standing for the Bulls and now the results of the NCAA games. It's fun to see this passion develop in you as you learn about the game. You've been taking basketball classes at Columbus Park and even made a basket in your first game (with a pass from your brother!).
You are still my cuddlebug. You love to snuggle up with mommy or sit on my lap. You might not know it, but each day I make a point of picking you up. You have to jump a bit to help me out, but I know one day sometime soon it will be the last time I'm able to pick you up and hold you while you wrap your arms around me. When I think of things like that, I want you to stay young and small, though nothing makes me happier to see you grow and thrive.
I love you very much, Gabie. Usually when I say, "I love you," you reply, "ok." But last week when you were leaving for school, I said it a couple of times until you finally replied, "I love you too, mama." And then you flashed me a smile that told me you really meant it. I closed the door and my eyes welled up with tears. It's hard to explain the love I have for you and how much you mean to me, and while I know you love me, to hear you say it means more than you know.
I look forward to all this year will bring and pray God's continued blessings on you for health, peace and joy. I believe in you and believe you can do whatever you set your mind and heart to do. Sometimes you get frustsrated easily, but I know it's because you want to be the very best and don't want to settle for less. And Daddy and I want only the best for you, too.
Happy birthday, my Gabiedoll. Tommorow we'll celebrate and look forward to what the year ahead will hold; may it be even better than the one before.
I love you.
Mommy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That is so sweet. I'm stealing your idea of picking up my kids at least once a day. You never know when it will be the last.
The cliche "The days are long but the years are short" has been running through my head a lot lately too. They grow up too fast!
This is so sweet Sara! Made me cry! The years do fly by! I too love that you pick him up every day!! Happy Belated Birthday to Gabe!!
Happy Birthday to Gabe! Oh the 8 years have sure flown. You're so right, the days can seem so very long at times, but looking back the years always do fly right by.
Gabe is such a wonderful, sweet boy! Looking forward to the year ahead and many more memories!
love you and happy (belated) birthday!!
Post a Comment