Friday, January 06, 2012

2011 In Review: Siding

Northeast
{Our humble home; less than two months after we closed.}

When we first bought this house, we clearly knew the exterior was a problem and would need to be repaired / replaced at some point. In my new homeowner naivity, I thought "at some point" would be within several months of moving in. NOT 6 years. Ha! But alas, time flies (and funds are fleeting at times as well!). I was so thankfully we were able to FINALLY pull the trigger and side our house this spring. But before we get to the exciting part, let's get a full tour of the "before," shall we?
Northwest
12-19-05 052 12-19-05 051 12-19-05 054

Dan's boss and our neighbor graciously helped us fix the back roof before we moved in. He put a nail through the side of this thumb that day and carried on! {This picture is making me tear up....we miss Glen dearly.}
12-19-05 079 North Southeast South Southwest2

And now for the exciting part. We thought about a lot of different options when we started to think about doing this project. Should we try to do it ourselves with some help? Hire a handy man? Major contractor? In the end we asked for three quote: one from Lowe's, one from a small local company who installed our front door, and one from a local, but bigger and favorably reviewed (thank you Yelp!) siding company - Siding 1 Windows 1. In the end, we went with Siding 1 for the creativity they brought to the table. We were prepared to do something very basic, and, for not much more money, they offered some interesting ideas that we felt brought more character to our home.

  So, drumroll, please......................

IMG_3381 IMG_3378 IMG_3375 IMG_3518 IMG_3515 IMG_3514 IMG_3380 IMG_3374 IMG_3379

In the end we were super happy with the outcome, as well as with the service and installation from Siding 1 (promise this is not a commercial! :-)). The guys were Polish - one of them didn't speak any English at all (remind me to tell you about the day he though I was offering him beer and when he found out it was root beer, went on a rant in Polish!) - and I am pretty sure they may have cursed me in Polish when I told them they had put the white band board in the wrong place! Ha! Seriously, though, they were very attentive to detail and did great work. We are thrilled with the result.

Only took 6 years! Picnik collage

3 comments:

Christina said...

I can think of nothing more appropriate to say than WOW! Seriously, this is such a transformation. After seeing the beautiful finished product several times, I've forgotten what your "before" looked like. This is such an incredible after! I love your siding choices - the color and all of the character.
There's something to be said for the before's too. Something about the nostalgia - your sweet neighbor Glen up on the ladder rebuilding the roof, the dates on the pictures from 2005 (our 6 year olds were BABIES!) and the Neon parked in the driveway with the swagger wagon. Times have changed. It's always fun to look back.

You have a gorgeous home, guys! Love the character and old home charm!!

Jamie said...

Glad you are doing some catch-up posts. Your house looks great! Very "you." I'm sure you love the fresh new look. Are you noticing differences this winter too - more efficient, less drafty, since it probably patched up any old holes or cracks?
Don't worry about 6 years - I'm stunned we've been in this house 11 yrs. already and have many, many projects to still complete! Time,money and babies all seem to get in the way!!

Carrie Johnston said...

Sara,I know I've never seen it in person, but the house and new siding looks fantastic! Congrats!