Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Can't quit now...

I will finish the San Fran trip report if it kills me. :-)

Almost done, promise.

OK, where was I.....Day 4, Part 1: Hyde and Lombard Streets
DSC08475

DSC08494
 On our last full day we decided to see some more of the city and the famous Lombard street (the zig zagging one).  We had heard it was the steepest intersection in the city, but then I read somewhere that it's the second steepest.  Either way, it's STEEP.  It's hard to tell from the pics exactly how it felt driving up, but it felt like the car was just going to start rolling backwards.

DSC08472

The views were really pretty from this spot.

DSC08487

DSC08493

DSC08473

DSC08477

San Fran 267

DSC08480

At the bottom looking up...it's hard to see the zig-zag street:

DSC08481

San Fran 271

San Fran 272

Some type of citrus?:

DSC08485

We also learned that the inventor of the cable car was inspired to do so after watching 5 horses slip to their death down the hill on Hyde.  This intersection draws a crowd; folks taking pics and riding the cable cars.  We didn't ride, but took plenty of pics.  The cherry blossoms were in bloom.  That was one of my favorite parts of the morning. 

DSC08496

(that's Alcatraz in the distance below:)

DSC08498

San Fran 289

Afterwards we at breakfast at a really good crepe shop.  Delish.

San Fran 290
Next to last stop: the redwoods!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

by the time you finish it will be the 2 yr anniversary and you guys can go back : )
but you do have a lot of nice pics from your trip!

Ruth said...

Oh Sara, thanks for sharing your memories and pictures from your trip. I love the views! The flowers are gorgeous! Favorite picture is the one with the flower in the fore ground and city view and water behind. Lovely! I'll probably never get to California so I really appreciate sharing your memories! :0)

Christina said...

I, too, am loving these pictures! They're so amazing and show such a beautiful San Francisco. I really really wannnnna go! I can't get over that street. It does not look real the way it zigs this way and that. So crazy. I'd be afraid. And those poor horses! Oh my. Those cherry blossoms are absolutely gorgeous. So beautiful!

p.s. I'm working on a Hawaii post now, I understand the determination! ha! Good Luck!

Erica said...

I love this latest installment from your vacation. The pictures you took of the cherry blossoms are so pretty. I really want to go there too!

Looking forward to the next post!
Thanks for sharing!
Love,
Erica