Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Day 3: Part 1 of 3 - Golden Gate Bridge

On Saturday we decided to head for Golden Gate, Sausalito and Napa - a lot to cram into one day (and one post, so I'm breaking it into 3!).

Golden Gate is really a sight to behold - a modern engineering wonder.

San Fran 112

San Fran 117

San Fran 118

It was fascinating to think about how it was built (and how it manages to stay standing!). The views were beautiful.

San Fran 123

San Fran 124

San Fran 127

San Fran 129

We drove across, parked on the other side and then walked back about halfway. Those structures are super tall, especially when you're standing next to them. And it's a long way down. There was a phone and a suicide hotline sign out there. Sad to think about, but I'm sure it happens.

San Fran 134

San Fran 136

San Fran 141

San Fran 142

I touched it! :-)

San Fran 145

San Fran 146

It was foggy, but in the distance below you can see Alcatraz (and lots of sailboats!):

San Fran 153

Awww...

San Fran 155

It was really a beautiful structure, with great views of the city and bay.

Next stop: Sausalito.

Hey, I just realized I uploaded our videos, too, so here's quick one from Golden Gate.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

I like the picture of Alcatraz with all the sail boats in front of it! Ruth

Christina said...

oooh, this is so pretty! I never realized how truly massive a structure this bridge is. That's huge! I also didn't realize you could walk on it/across it. And such a beautiful view. It looks like it was the perfect, sunny day, too.

Can't wait to see more. {I can't believe you packed so much into Day 3!}

Anonymous said...

Love the shadow picture.
love ya,
Sandi

Erica said...

Love these updates from your trip! It makes me want to go to San Francisco NOW!
Sun, blue skies, fun activities, beautiful scenery....I wish I could magically transport myself.

My favorite picture is the last one of your shadows. So sweet.

Love,
Erica