Saturday, June 05, 2010

Just a quick note...

I began potty training Caleb sort of "spur of the moment" this morning.  Woke up, put underpants on him, gave him a rundown of the "system" (candy for trying, multiple pieces of candy for going, etc.) and went for it!  It probably wasn't the best day to try, since we already had plans to go to Legoland in the afternoon, but if I waited until a perfect day with no plans, it would never come.  :-)

So, the first obstacle was getting him comfortable in the underwear.  He cried for a while, said he wanted his diaper back on, etc.  Then he got pretty comfy in them and had his first accident (which really was just trickle in the training pants, but he noticed it, which was good, and we ran to the potty and he sat on it for the first time - one piece of candy). Then he just kept wanting to sit on it for the candy.  Like 10 times.  But a deal's a deal.

 New pair, second accident (a little more this time, rush him back to the potty).  This time he sat on the potty for a while, and I could tell he needed to go more, but was scared.  So we sat there for a while.

It seemed like he needed to do a pooper (sorry, that's just what we call it around here!), so I told him that he needed to go or he'd get a tummy ache and that he'd feel better if he just went.  That might have been a slight exaggeration, but it got his attention.  He said, really serious, "I be sick?"  And I said, "no, but if you don't go, your tummy might hurt."  That's not lying, right?

So, after a few more minutes he got this seriously relieved and happy look on his face and started going....pee.  We were SOOOOO excited.  Lots of candy flowed.  He was even more proud than I was.  And then he said, "I not be sick!"

Oops.  It appears I may have scared him into going potty on the potty.  :-)  But, hey, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

And then he went a second time, and then had another accident, and then it was time to give it a rest and go to Legoland.  But twice at Legoland he told us he was going in his diaper, so I think that's good progress!

I would have rather gone "all or nothing" without putting him back in a diaper right away (I think this works best for the boys...and for me...they've never been really interested in just sitting on the potty now and then, it sort of has to be potty training boot camp!), but I'm glad we got a start and I think he's warmed up to the idea.  So, back on it tomorrow and good work today, Cay Cay.  We are proud of you and you are this close to getting your own big-boy bike!   And a lot more candy.

2 comments:

Ruth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christina said...

Wow!! This is great! I'm so impressed with him!! Potty training is pretty much the number one thing (at this stage) of parenting that I dread the most. Way to give it a go. Even if you sort of had to tell him he'd get a tummy ache otherwise. Haha! That is so funny. "I not be sick", haha!

Yay for Caleb!! And YAY FOR YOU!!