Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Disregard My Previous Message

So, you can disregard my previous post about how stressed I am because of work, etc. I had kindof a reality check tonight (much like Sally's Oprah moment). I was watching this video with Dan that he is going to show at team mentoring tomorow called "Invisible Children." It was a documentary on these three kids from California who decided to take a trip to the Sudan, but did not get past Northern Uganda. There they learned that the rebel army abducts children from their homes (ages 5-14) and forces them to fight and kill with the army or they will be killed. To keep from being abducted, the kids go from their village homes into the towns every night and sleep in hospital basements and on verandas, etc. Thousands of them just pile in to these areas to sleep. Most of them aren't in school, and many of them only eat just once a day. It was so sad to hear this one little boy talk about how the army killed his older brother. You can read more about the movie and their organization here.

Watching all of that just made me realize that the scope of my worries and stress is really insignificant when you think of situations like those. Now that I am a mom, I can't help but think of mom's who have to worry about very basic human needs for themselves and their children. I can't imagine Gabe being hungry and me not being able to feed him. It really just breaks my heart. It makes me want to bring all those little kids home! We actually both have a really strong desire to adopt someday. I don't know when or from where, but I hope that someday we can.

If you have a chance to watch this documentary, I would recommend it (or any documentary on the issues going on in Africa).

1 comments:

Christina said...

Wow, I can't even imagine. It sounds so super sad. It's really hard to believe that everyday while we go on with our comfortable lives here, people all over are suffering so much. We'll have to watch it, too. I'll want to bring all of the children home too. I completely agree, my heart broke before, but now that I'm a mom it's hard for me to even fathom children not having food, shelter, or even safety. How super sad...