Sunday, September 04, 2011

Holiday Weekend

We are seriously enjoying this long weekend.  We've been at home with no major plans, just enjoying the absolutely beautiful weather and our time together.

I just wanted to jot down a couple of things from today - things I know I'll want to remember.  First, this morning, Gabe came up his own discipline system for Caleb - as in he is now disciplining / rewarding Caleb.  The system goes something like this: when Caleb does what Gabe wants him to do, he moves a marble from the glass jar to the wooden treasure chest box.  When Caleb does something REALLY good (like let Gabe finish his Italian ice from Johnnie's) he get's a GIANT marble.  Even though I explained that only mommy and daddy are responsible for disciplining Caleb, the system went into effect anyway, and I couldn't help but observe.  And Caleb was in full support, surprisingly.  Gabe: "Great job, Caleb.  You get a marble."  Caleb:  " I get a marble?!!  Yes!" This system is eerily similar to the system in Gabe's new 1st grade classroom and it was just so funny to watch it unfold today.  We will surely restore order tomorrow.  Unless it's working really well, in which case we will officially put Gabe in charge of Caleb.  Ha!

Caleb had some good material today, too.  On the way home from the zoo we drove by a cemetery and he said, "there's the die place!"  Then at dinner, as Dan and I were explaining why he needs to eat the peel on his apple (because it has all the vitamins and it's good for him, etc.), he said "oh, so it doesn't help you die?"  Yes, exactly.  It doesn't help you die.  And then he proceeded to eat each one of those apple slices, but not before dipping them in mustard.  MUSTARD.  This child never ceases to amaze us.

It was just a really good, low-key day.  We went to the zoo for a little bit this afternoon - here are some pics from our day. Hope you are enjoying the holiday weekend as much as we are.

IMG_5292 IMG_5296 IMG_5305 IMG_5307 IMG_5310 IMG_5322 IMG_5323 IMG_5326 IMG_5333 IMG_5336 IMG_5346 IMG_5350 IMG_5351 IMG_5365 IMG_5367 IMG_5352 IMG_5354

2 comments:

Christina said...

Awesome pictures!! Simply beautiful! Looks like a wonderful weekend :)

Love you all!

Erica said...

Gorgeous pictures! I'm glad you had a wonderful and relaxing family weekend together. My favorite picture is the last one with the boys and that beautiful light and sky.