
Today Gabe had an Invention Fair at school. A few weeks ago, they were asked to think of an invention and start thinking about how they could build a model or drawing. His original idea was a Lego TV (and, in his words, "if you take it apart all the pieces still work"). However, as time went on, he changed his mind and decided he wanted his invention to be a Robot House that can go anywhere and do anything you tell it to do. Which is actually pretty brilliant, right?
So, the night before the big fair (after having weeks to work on it), we began assembly on the Robot House. I made the suggestion that we us an actual robot so this prototype could move, so we built the house of foamboard and placed it over his R2D2 remote controlled robot. It worked pretty well, though today on the carpet at school it wasn't quite as smooth.
Dan and I helped him cut the pieces and tape them together, but other than that, the design and decor were all his. It broke my heart a little bit this morning when he looked at it and noticed that the face looked like it had a mustache and he was afraid other kids were going to laugh at his invention (like, seriously broke my heart). I tried to stay upbeat and told him that he needs to remember when other kids laugh or make fun of something, it's usually because they are feeling insecure (about their own invention). It bothered me all day, though. What if someone laughed at him and his fears came true? There's nothing I can do about that but encourage him to shake it off, but the mom in me wants to protect him from those types of things. I know it's part of growing up, but it's so hard.
Thankfully, no one laughed and his invention was a big success (other than the partial loss of an arm).
And I was so relieved....

3 comments:
Oh no! I think it is a fabulous project!
Mustaches are very "in" right now, so the worst case scenario would be someone calling him a "kindergarten hipster" which isn't so bad.
But I know how you feel - It's too easy to remember being a kid sometimes and how it feels to be laughed at (or worried about it).
Good work, Hogans!
I think it's terrific! I love his mobile robot house! As a mom, it would break my heart to hear him worried about the other children laughing at his invention - ugh, so heartbreaking. I'm so glad it was a success! Great job you guys! I feel like you're officially initiated into the school years now with an invention fair under your belt :)
love,
Christina
Great invention! And I can sympathize with worrying about his feelings being hurt. Cory is 19 and I still worry about how he's relating to others and how he will survive in the future. I never realized how much pain is involved in being a mom, although it is balanced by the joy.
love,
Sandi
Post a Comment