Tuesday, November 28, 2006

What's your favorite Christmas cookie recipe?

I thought it would be interesting to ask this question. No pressure, but if the recipe is short enough and simple enough, feel free to leave it in the comments section. I'm always looking for new, simple recipes for the holidays. I usually get together with Christina and Joyce for a day of holiday baking, then we all get to take a variety of things. My new favorite last year (or maybe the year before) is to take a pack of Oreos and food process them with an 8 oz block of cream cheese. Roll the mixture into balls and dip them in melted chocolate for a truffle-like treat! They're super easy and are very good with MINT Oreos.

I also love all the classic that my grandma used to make - the green corn flake wreaths, buck-eyes (peanut butter and rice krispies dipped in chocolate), decorated sugar cookies...this list goes on.

Happy Christmas baking season!

5 comments:

Casey Galatos said...

Well this is the time to try out all the recipes that we can come up with...and since you are looking for some i'd ask you to visit my Holiday Blog sometime soon and find out all the amazing recipes i've posted there....so visit soon and have a great time during the holidays!!!!

Anonymous said...

Long time stalker, first time poster.
Here's the recipe for the Hershey Kiss Cookies I bring into the office from time to time:
1 1/2 c All Purpose Flour
1/3 c Granulated Sugar
1/3 c Packed Dark Brown Sugar
1 t Baking Soda
1/2 t Salt
1/2 c Shortening (Crisco/Butter Flavored)
1/2 c Creamy Peanut Butter
2 Tbls Milk
1 t Vanilla Extract
1 Egg
Granulated Sugar (for rolling)
4 dozen Hershey Kisses (unwrapped)

Combine flour, sugars, soda, salt, shortening, peanut butter, milk, vanilla, and egg.
Beat on low until mixture forms firm dough.
Shape into 1-inch balls and roll in sugar.
Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 10-12 minutes until golden.
Remove from oven and top each cookie with a kiss, pressing firmly (cookie will break/crack around the edges).
Cool 2-5 minutes and remove from cookie sheet with spatula.

Enjoy!

Amy

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with all that you posted Sara, and the peanut butter ones sound DELISH! We'll have to try them. I also find myself to be a big fan of dipping. I love melting chocolate and dipping things to make chocolate pretzels, wheat thin/peanut butter cookies that taste like butterfingers, and the thin mint tasting ritz cracker cookies. I also love making peppermint fudge candy and my mother in law's homemade caramels. I'll post that recipe since it's so easy and yet so yummy:
1 c sugar
2/3 c Karo white syrup
1 1/2 c heavy cream
*candy thermometer

Combine sugar, syrup and 1/2 c cream stir, bring to boil @ 238 degrees, slowly. Then add 1/2 c cream, bring to boil @ 238. Add 1/2 c cream and bring to 238.
Take off stove and beat with spoon.
Pour into buttered 8" pan.
Put in refrigerator overnight.
Cut into 1" squares and wrap with wax paper.

Sara said...

Thanks, guys! I was starting ot think the only comment was going to be from "cybercasey." Amy, I was wondering if you had been stalking :-). I also must say that the recipe I posted was also from Amy!

I'm so glad to have the carmel recipe - those are really the best carmels I've ever had (and know that we know it doesn't take 2 hours per batch, we can make more!)

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't have any recipes of my own yet but I will ask my mom for her famous sugar cookie recipe (and frosting) and try to get it posted. I love the buck-eyes too - they make me think of both my grandmothers, one because she always makes them and the other because she lives in Ohio (you know, the Ohio State Buckeyes...)